Xi'an Rail Travel Guide
Here you will find useful information on Xi'an Train travel, including Xi'an Railway Stations Guide, Railway Station's opening hours, ticket booking notes, Xi'an train schedules, luggage rules on China train, age requirements for child tickets and etc.
Xi'an Railway Stations Guide
There are three passenger railway stations in Xi'an, naming Xi'an Railway Station, Xi'an North Railway Station and Xi'an South Railway Station respectively.
Xi'an Railway Station is the city's main railway station. it's also the terminal for many trains. With annual passenger traffic volume of about 24 million, Xi'an Railway Station ranks No. 4 in terms of traffic handling capacity in China.
Locate in Lijiajie Village in Weiyang District, Xi'an North Railway Station mainly serves high speed trains. Passengers taking bullet train for Beijing, Wuhan, Zhengzhou, Luoyang and etc should depart here.
Xi'an South Railway Station, with the former name Chang'an Station, is a middle-stop for Chongqing-Taiyuan, Chongqing-Urumqi, Chongqing-Xi'an, Xi'an-Guiyang, Chengdu-Tianjin, Xi'an-Ankang trains. The South Station locates in the city's outskirt area.
- Xi'an Railway Station: No. 151, Huancheng Road, Xincheng District, Xi'an, Shaanxi 710005, China.
- Xi'an North Railway Station: Weiyang District, Xi'an, Shaanxi, China.
- Xi'an South Railway Station: Yinzhen Town, Changan District, Xi'an, 710100, Shaanxi, China.
- By Airport Express
Passengers can take airport bus line 2 to travel from Xi'an Airport to Xi'an Railway Station directly. Operating hours are from 7:50 to 20:20. Journey time is about 1 hour and costing is RMB 26 Yuan.
- By Taxi
The shortest riding distance between Xi'an Railway Station to Xi'an Airport is about 40 kilometers. Journey time to take taxi is about 40 minutes and costing is about RMB 120 Yuan (for reference only!).
Get to Terracotta Army Museum from Xi'an Railway Station:
- by Bus
Passengers can take travel bus No. 5 (306) at the East Square of Xi'an Railway Station to travel to Terracotta Army Museum directly. Frequently buses are vailiable from 7:00 to 18:30 (5 minutes per). Bus ticket fare is RMB 7 Yuan.
- by Taxi
The shortest riding distance between the two places ia 35km. Riding time is about 1 hour and price is about RMB 80 Yuan on a taxi during daytime's working hours.
Xi'an Airport to Xi'an North Railway Station
- by Taxi
There is no direct bus running between Xi'an Xianyang Airport and Xi'an North Railway Station. Distance between the two places is about 27km, it takes about half an hour to travel by a taxi and taxi fare is about RMB 90 Yuan.
Xi'an North Railway Station to Terracotta Army Museum by Taxi
- The shortest riding distance between the two places is about 40km. To ride a taxi, it costs about RMB 100 Yuan.
Xi'an Train Ticket Booking Guide
Passengers can purchase ticket from any of the railway stations in Xi'an at anytime. Some ticket booking windows at the railway station open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
There are also 84 ticket booking agencies in Xi'an. Open hours for train ticket agencies in Xi'an are 8:00-11:30 in the morning and 13:00-16:00 in the noon. To book tickets from these agenices, you are required to pay addtional RMB 5 Yuan each ticket as booking fee. Ticket agencies in Xi'an also work at weekends.
Ticket Reservation Period in Xi'an.
Advance ticket reservation period in Xi'an is 11 days (including the journey date). That means, if you want to leave Xi'an on May 14, you can reserve the ticket on May 4.
New Round of ticket issuing in Xi'an starts in the middle noon.
China has world's busiest railway network. If you buy the ticket on the date of journey, you may get disappointed as tickets might have been sold out already. We suggest you book your ticket in advance to make sure your journey will not be delayed.
- During holiday seasons, advance reservation period may be shortened to 3 - 5 days.
- Passengers can also buy train tickets for different places. For example, passenger can buy tickets of Beijing to Shenzhen train in Xi'an.
No. 24 (24 hours service) and No. 3 ticket windows on the ground floor of Xi'an Railway Station specilize in selling tickets for different places.
Telephone Booking & Online Booking
Passengers can call number wizard 96688 to book train tickets in Xi'an. Reservation period is same with that of train ticket agencies. Chinese Citizen ID is required to successfully book tickets from them.
The official website of Client Service Center of Ministry of Railway provides online train ticket booking services. Since it's a Chinese website requiring local bank account to make payment after submitting booking form, we recommend you find someone in China to help to complete online booking.
Railway Rules and Regulations You Should Know
Chinese rail industry has its own characters. China Railway rules and regulations are different with any other country in the world. Getting familiar with these rules will make your rail travel in China more successful and happy!
- Inflammable and explosive dangerous goods, animal and pet are not allowed to taken on the train
- Luggage weight requirment:luggage weight should be under 10kg for of child passenger, luggage weight should be under 30kg for diplomatic personnel and luggage weight should be under 20kg for other adult passenger.
- Luggage size requirment: Total length of the luggage ( length+width+height) should be under 200cm.
Requirements for Child Tickets
Instead of age, China has special requirments on child's height to buy child ticket. Requirments on child ticket can be summarized as the follows:
- Child with the height under 120cm can enjoy free rail travel.
- Child with the height between 120cm - 150cm has privileges to buy discounted train ticket.
- Child with the height above 150cm should buy full-priced train ticket, no matter how old he/she is.