Chengdu Rail Travel Guide
Here you will find useful information on Chengdu Train travel, including Chengdu Railway Stations Guide, Railway Station's opening hours, ticket booking notes, Chengdu Train schedules, luggage rules on China train, requirements on child tickets and etc.
Chengdu Railway Stations Guide
There are two passenger railway stations in Sichuan Chengdu, naming Chengdu Railway Station and Chengdu South Railway Station respectively.
Chengdu Railway Station, also known as Chengdu North Railway Station by local people, is the city's main station with the largest passenger traffic volume. Most trains depart from Chengdu Railway Station for other cities of China. It's also the terminal to many passenger trains.
Chengdu East Railway Station is much small in scale with only a small number of trains come through here.
- Chengdu Railway Station: Renmin Road, Qingyang District, Chengdu, Sichuan 610082, China.
- Chengdu East Railway Station: Jinjiang District, Chengdu, Sichuan China.
- By Airport Bus
Passenger can take No.300 airport bus to transport between Chengdu Shuangliu Airport and Chengdu Railway Station directly. Operation hour is from 6:30am to 8:00pm. Riding hour is about 1 hour and bus fare is Renminbi 6 Yuan.
- By Taxi
Distance between Chengdu Shuangliu Airport and Chengdu Train Station is about 25 kilometers. It takes about 45 minutes to ride by a taxi and taxi fare is about Renminbi 80 Yuan (for reference only!).
How to Transport from Chengdu Shuangliu Airport to Chengdu East Train Station
- By Airport Bus
Passenger can take No.317 airport bus to travel between Chengdu Shuangliu Airport and Chengdu East Railway Station directly. Riding time is about 1 hour and a half and bus fare is Renminbi 6 Yuan.
- By Taxi
Distance between Chengdu Shuangliu Airport and Chengdu East Train Station is about 22 kilometers. It takes about 35 minutes to travel by a taxi and taxi fare is about Renminbi 70 Yuan (for reference only!).
Chengdu Train Ticket Booking Guide
Passengers can purchase ticket from any of the railway stations in Chengdu at anytime. Some ticket booking windows at the railway station open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
There are also 60 ticket booking agencies in Chengdu. Open hours for train ticket agencies in Chengdu are 8:30 am to 6:00 pm Monday to Friday and 8:30 am to 4:30 pm at weekends. To book tickets from these agenices, you are required to pay addtional RMB 5 Yuan each ticket as booking fee.
There is a train ticket agency at No. 1 Gate in the Domestic Arrivals Hall in T1 terminal of Chengdu Shuangliu Airport, you can also try to purchase ticket there from 8:00 to 18:00 Monday to Sunday. Renminbi 5 Yuan is charged each ticket as service fee.
Ticket Reservation Period in Chengdu.
Advance ticket reservation period in Chengdu is 11 days (including the journey date). That means, if you want to leave Chengdu on May 14, you can reserve the ticket on May 4.
New Round of ticket issuing in Sichuan Chengdu starts at 12:00pm every day.
China has world's busiest railway network. If you buy the ticket on the date of journey, you will most likely get disappointed as tickets might have been sold out already. We recommend you book your ticket in advance to make sure your journey will not be delayed.
- During holiday seasons, advance reservation period may be shortened to 3 - 5 days.
- Passengers can also buy tickets of different places other than Chengdu . For example, passenger can buy tickets for Guangzhou to Shenzhen trains through ticke windows of the Railway station or ticket agency in Chengdu.
www.12306.cn provides online booking services 7am to 11:00pm China time. As a Chinese website, it's mainly used by local people.
Passengers can call number wizard 96006 to book train tickets in Chengdu. Maximum reservation period is 12 days (including the journey date). Chinese Citizen ID is required to successfully book tickets from them.
As an expatriate, you are suggested to book tickets at the railway station's ticket windows or through ticket booking agencies.
Railway Rules and Regulations You Should Know
Chinese rail industry has its own characters. Railway rules and regulations in China are different with any other country in the world. Getting familiar with these rules will make your rail travel in China more successful and happy!
- Inflammable and explosive dangerous goods, animal and pet are not allowed to taken on the train
- Luggage weight requirment:luggage weight should be under 10kg for child passenger, luggage weight should be under 30kg for diplomatic personnel and luggage weight should be under 20kg for other adult passenger.
- Luggage size requirment: total length of the luggage ( length+width+height) should be under 200cm.
Requirements for Child Tickets
Instead of age, China has special requirments on child's height to buy child ticket. Requirments on child ticket can be summarized as the follows:
- Child with the height under 120cm can enjoy free train travel and doesn't need to pay.
- Child with the height between 120cm - 150cm has privilege to buy a discounted train ticket. Price of a seat ticket for child is about a half of that of adult.
- Child with the height above 150cm should buy full-priced train ticket, no matter the age.